GD&T Fundamentals teaches a simple framework that allows students to not only understand how Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is used, but also why GD&T improves the manufacturing process. The course is focused on practical knowledge and uses real-world examples from our clients as instructional tools. GD&T Fundamentals doesn’t overwhelm students with every GD&T concept – the lessons are curated to teach students only the concepts and terminology necessary to do their jobs better and improve your manufacturing operation.
By the time you complete this course, you’ll be able to:
- Gain a mental framework and understanding that simplifies 95% of all GD&T
- Understand the main requirements and terminology of the ASME Y14.5 Standard in terms of plain English
- Learn all 14 major GD&T symbols and understand how to apply the symbols that are useful and to avoid the ones that aren’t
- Understand GD&T Feature Control Frames and how they affect manufacturing and inspection
- Know how Max Material Condition creates bonus tolerance while maintaining a functional part
- Understand datums and how they are applied on drawings for design, manufacturing, and inspection
- Understand how Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is applied on physical parts and real-world drawings
- Know best practices and have a realistic approach for using GD&T in your job
You’ll leave this course equipped to read, interpret, and understand GD&T on real engineering drawings—and empowered to work more confidently, communicate more clearly, and produce parts more efficiently.
The GD&T Fundamentals course takes our print reading course to the next step – by showing how Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is used, interpreted, and applied across a part’s life cycle. This course is designed to be very approachable and geared towards everyone from entry-level to those with intermediate experience. To take this training, you should have some experience in a design, production or inspection environment working with engineering drawings. You should also be able to understand how parts are represented and viewed on a print. No prior GD&T knowledge is required, though!
Our GD&T Fundamentals course is ideal for:
- Inspectors and Inspection Planners
- New Hires
- Sales and Purchasing Professionals
- Machinists and Operators
- Tooling Engineers
- Managers and Supervisors
- Production Associates
- And anyone else who works with prints with GD&T
Don’t forget the rest of your crew! Maximize your team’s GD&T proficiency and align the whole production line by training your entire team together. Contact us for group pricing discounts and customized training programs designed around your company’s specific needs.
- Print Reading & Tolerancing course is recommended before taking the GD&T Fundamentals, but not required
- No prior GD&T experience needed
- No additional materials to purchase – everything you’ll need is included (see below)
24/7 access to our online course on any device for 3-12 months, depending on the training program chosen:
- 3-month access with live training
- 6-month access for individuals with online training
- 12-month access for groups with online training
- Direct instructor email support with access to pre-recorded video answersLive and pre-recorded webinars offering design, production, and inspection walk-throughs
- Helpful charts, drawing examples, practice exercise worksheets, and other printable handouts
- Quizzes and knowledge checks to gauge progress throughout the course
- Certificate of course completion along with a LinkedIn Skills Endorsement
Learn how to interpret GD&T whenever, wherever, and however is most convenient for you. Our GD&T Fundamentals course is available in the following formats:
- On-Site Training, where an instructor visits your facility to provide customized hands-on training for your team
- Virtual Training, where an instructor provides customized training for your team through live video conferencing
- Online Course, where you access quizzes and videos-on-demand to progress through training at your own pace—either alone or along with your team
- Hybrid Learning, where you combine the self-paced online course with customized consulting to reinforce your print reading competence
Whether you prefer to learn on your own or with a live instructor, in a group, online, or in-person, we can design a training plan tailored to meet your needs.
To download the course syllabus for Print Reading and Tolerances.